Reflective Summary

Stepping into the school for my teaching practicum, I was filled with anticipation, viewing this period as a pivotal milestone in my academic journey that would serve as a bridge to my professional career. Having pursued my undergraduate studies in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) at the University of Kelaniya, I spent over three years immersing myself in theoretical knowledge within the esteemed Department of English Language Teaching. This internship presented an invaluable opportunity to bring classroom theories to life and to craft a unique teaching experience that would shape my journey as a teacher. Choosing York International School Kadawatha for my teaching practicum proved to be an excellent decision. Under the guidance of a dedicated mentor and amidst a group of enthusiastic students, I found inspiration and fulfillment during my time there.

At York International School, I got to teach two grades from the lower secondary level: Grade 6 and Grade 9. The classes were small, with 14 students in Grade 6 and 7 students in Grade 9. These classes had different kinds of students with their ways of learning, backgrounds, and skills. As I taught them, I learned how important it is to adjust my teaching to fit student's needs. Concerning the curriculum guidelines, I structured my lesson plans around designated textbooks. Specifically, for Grade 6, I adhered to the contents outlined in the “Nelson English International Student Book 6”. Similarly, for Grade 9, I followed the curriculum outlined in the “Grade 9 National English textbook” issued by the Education Publication Department.

On the initial day of my internship, a needs analysis was conducted to assess the student's requirements, revealing the necessity to address all core language skills: listening, reading, speaking, and writing, encompassing both productive and receptive skills. Consequently, I structured my lessons predominantly around the prescribed textbooks, as instructed by the teacher-in-charge, as they served as the primary teaching materials for both grades. Primarily, the students exhibited a keen interest in topics such as Jamaica, Art, Titanic, African Childhood, and Watery Planet, driven by their natural curiosity and eagerness to explore. They liked learning about these things because they found them exciting. So, I used these topics to help them improve their language skills in a fun and creative way.

During my teaching practicum, students made significant progress in various areas. In creative writing, they improved through activities (e.g.; - writing poems about a local street market, and story narration). Vocabulary development in activities (e.g.; country letter hunt using letter cards, anagrams, and maintaining a word journal). Speaking skills were enhanced through tasks (e.g.; discussing weekend plans, and participating in role plays, such as acting out an art gallery opening). Additionally, listening skills were developed through activities (e.g.; Practicing telephone conversations). Writing skills were honed through tasks (e.g.; Composing formal and informal letters, writing about their favorite artists, and creating autobiographical sections).

In evaluating the effectiveness of the lesson materials and activities utilized during my teaching practicum, it becomes evident that it is necessary to employ a multifaceted approach to cater to the diverse needs and preferences of the students. Due to the smaller class sizes, I was able to offer personalized attention to every student, providing them with the support and guidance they needed. I implemented a student-centered teaching approach, incorporating various methods such as collaborative learning, gamification, and differentiated instruction. One notable strength lies in the diverse range of resources and techniques incorporated, which not only accommodated different learning styles but also fostered engagement and participation among the students. 

For instance, the integration of picture cards for vocabulary development provided a visual aid that appealed to visual learners, aiding in better comprehension and retention of new words. Similarly, the interactive nature of activities such as the travel poster gallery sessions and reading travel brochures not only facilitated language acquisition but also encouraged active participation and real-world application of language skills. Furthermore, the inclusion of crossword puzzles served as an effective tool for reinforcing vocabulary and enhancing problem-solving skills.

Another notable strength was the incorporation of creative and engaging activities to teach grammar concepts. For example, the ‘Pronoun Scramble’ activity provided an interactive and hands-on approach to learning relative pronouns, making the learning point more tangible and comprehensible for the students. Similarly, the use of a ‘Cartoon-Animated Fun Video’ to illustrate past passive voice added an element of fun and excitement to the learning process, making grammar lessons more enjoyable and memorable. Moreover, the ‘Personal Achievements Reflection’ exercise and the ‘Fortune Teller’ game provided opportunities for students to practice language skills in context, fostering meaningful communication and language use. These activities not only enhanced language proficiency but also promoted confidence and self-expression among the students.

Additionally, the incorporation of poetry analysis into the curriculum served to broaden students' literary horizons and deepen their understanding of language and culture. By exploring diverse poems such as "The Sea" by James Reeves, "Jamaica Market" by Agnes Maxwell, and "Night Shapes" by Paddy Kinsale, students were exposed to different writing styles and themes, enriching their appreciation for literature and language. Overall, the diverse range of lesson materials and activities utilized during my teaching practicum proved to be instrumental in creating a dynamic and engaging learning environment.

During my first week of internship, I encountered the challenge of students showing reluctance towards engaging in writing activities. However, I addressed this issue by inspiring them through captivating scenarios that piqued their interest. Additionally, I implemented varied seating arrangements in the classroom, utilizing the available space to create semi-circles that effectively captured the students' attention and minimized disruptions. The main hurdles I faced during my teaching practicum were time management and the limited availability of technology for lessons. Despite having only, a personal laptop as a technological tool, I maximized its usage to provide learners with diverse and engaging experiences. The school system enforced a strict policy requiring communication exclusively in English, including among the teachers. Yet, when several slow learners needed further explanation for challenging vocabulary, I could not utilize code-switching or code-mixing pedagogical techniques to aid their comprehension. Instead, I relied on simple English and alternative methods such as visual picture cards to assist them.

    In conclusion, this practicum was a pivotal step in my journey toward becoming a skilled and empathetic teacher, reaffirming my commitment to fostering student growth and success. 

References

Ramadhan, F. A., Wahono, S. S., & Muhith, A. (2023). Design of English Vocabulary Pictures Card Media For Teach Vocabulary at Elementary School. Attadib: Journal of Elementary Education, 7(2).

Laal, M., & Ghodsi, S. M. (2012). Benefits of collaborative learning. Procedia-social and behavioral sciences, 31, 486-490.

Reflective Summary Word Document

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fEgBleZ8GoAt9uVOrIjJhcP31lULHfM5/edit?usp=drive_link&ouid=115090936734644327414&rtpof=true&sd=true

Comments